History of Edgefield County, South Carolina
The author of this book is a native of Edgefield District, born before it was shorn of its fair proportions, as it was in 1S17, before a part was cut off to form the County of Aiken, and long before it was further divided to form Saluda County. He was born within three miles of Saluda River on the old Charleston and Ninety-Six Road, which, in Revolutionary times, was one of the main highways leading from the low country and the Congarees to Ninety-Six. The place is now in Saluda County.
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book ( 29.9 MB PDF ) - Free
Before the year 1785, Edgefield County was a part of Ninety-Six District, which then included a very extensive territory in the upper part of the State. By the Act of the Legislature of that year, March 12, 1785, Ninety-Six was divided into the Counties, afterwards called Districts, of Edgefield, Abbeville, Newberry, Laurens, Union, and Spartanburg. Augusta, as we shall see, was founded in the year 1736, and a very active and important trading post had been in existence already for some years at the place on the Savannah where Hamburg was afterwards built. Previous to its occupation by white people the greater part of the territory was in the possession of the numerous and war-like tribe of Indians, known as the Cherokees. The Southern part, lying on the Savannah River, was used by other tribes. Savannah, Creek, &c, as hunting grounds. Of these Indians, their habits, manners, customs, and traditions, it is not necessary at this time, to write, as our purpose is to give a history of Edgefield as it has been since its occupancy by Europeans and their descendants.