The History of Granville, Licking County, Ohio
This History of Granville was undertaken nine years ago at the suggestion of one of Granville's absent sons. In gathering materials, the fact came to light that Mr. Charles W. Bryant was engaged in similar work. Each was urged by the other to make common stock of what had already been obtained and go on with the work. It was finally arranged that Mr. Bryant would take the genealogies and family histories, and the subscriber the annals; the whole to be combined for publication. The annals were ready in 1880, closing with the Seventy-fifth Anniversary. But the other part called for large correspondence and delay. In 1885, Mr. Bryant died; no part of his work, so far as can be found, being ready for the press. There was so much call for the annals that a company was formed to publish them. The record has been brought down to the present time in an added chapter. It was thought best to leave the pages already written, unchanged. Hence all references to the present, names of streets (since changed), etc., remain as in 1880. In the course of the annals the orthography of some names will be found to change, but this conforms to the usage of the families, and need not lead to any mistake. Some incidents recorded may to some appear trifling, but they have been preserved, not always for their intrinsic value, but because they might hint to the memory a picture of the olden times, or awaken pleasant recollections by suggestion. Nothing has been deemed unimportant that helped in that service. The cut of the University was loaned to us for this use. The rest are made by Smith, of Columbus; those that appear in the additional record, are from photographs by Carpenter, of Granville; the other buildings, reproduced from memory or description, maps and outlines are from original drawings. The writer would gratefully make his acknowledgments for materials used, to the family of Dr. Little, to C.W. Bryant, Hon. Isaac Smucker, the various authors of pioneer papers in his possession, and to the few who were remaining of the pioneers, particularly Deacon T.M. Rose, Col. D.M. Baker, and Mr. L.E. Bancroft; and regrets to have been alone responsible, except where credit is given, for the selection of matter, arrangement, drawings, 'style of book, and business contracts. He will be thankful to receive any correction of mis-statements, or any important additional information; and may at any time be addressed at Westerville, Ohio.
Table of Contents
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book - Free ( 5.3 MB PDF )
Granville township is a tract of choice land five miles square, centrally located in the county of Licking, State of Ohio. Through the center of it, from west to east, runs the middle fork of the Pataskala, or Licking River, this branch being commonly called Raccoon Creek. Irregularly skirting the stream on either hand is a chain of hills from one to two hundred feet high, out of whose tops excellent stone is quarried, and from whose base flow perennial springs. They are diversified with ridges, knobs, spurs, and buttes, and here and there the chain is broken by the valleys through which the brooks, fed by those springs, find their way into the leading stream.