A centennial biographical history of Crawford County, Ohio
The Rev. Newell Dwight Hillis, the rising star in the brilliant firmament of the Presbyterian ministry and now the occupant of the pulpit of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, made famous by the great Henry Ward Beecher, said: "By universal consent biography is the most fascinating of literature. Its charm doubtless grows out of the fact that it is the story of life. At best only a secondary interest can attach to those dead things named stones and stars. But biography has at least three advantages: it concerns life, it concerns human life, and it concerns man in his best form, in the person of earth's best and bravest spirits. For these reasons the books that have ushered in new epochs for society have generally been biographies. Indeed, the very heart of a nation's literature is the history of its heroes."
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book - Free ( 59.4 MB PDF )
Crawford county as thus organized embraced a scope of territory three congressional townships in width, and extended from the eastern boundary of Sandusky and Cranberry townships to the western boundary of Crawford, Salem, and Mifflin townships in Wyandot county. The Wyandot Indian Reservation covered the larger part of what is now Wyandot county and three miles of the western portion of what is now Bucyrus and Holmes townships, Crawford county. In 1835 the Indians sold to the government a strip seven miles off the east end of their reservation, which was sold by the government publicly in Marion, Ohio. February 3, 1845, Wyandot county was erected, and in the general reorganization of the counties that occurred Crawford lost all territory west of the middle line of townships in range 15 east, and gained from Marion county a strip of territory two miles wide extending to the Richland county line, and from the latter county on the east a tract four miles wide, extending the whole length of Crawford from north to south, some twenty miles. But in 1848 a tier of fractional sections were taken off in the erection of Morrow county, leaving Crawford in its present limits. On the 6th of March, 1845, the county commissioners organized the county into townships. A change was made in the following June, establishing Jackson township, and in March, 1873, Jefferson town- ship was erected, and since then no change has been made in boundary lines of townships. The county, as now arranged, is comprised of the following civil townships: Auburn, Vernon, Jackson, Polk, Jefferson, Sandusky, Cranberry, Chatfield, Liberty, Whetstone, Dallas, Bucyrus, Holmes, Lykens, Texas and Todd.