St. John the Evangelist, Killowen, Coleraine, Ireland
Short sketch of the history of the parish church of St. John the Evangelist, Killowen, Coleraine
The following sketch of the History of the Parish and Church of St. John the Evangelist, Killowen, Coleraine, has no pretensions to be considered as an exhaustive treatise on the subject. The idea has been suggested by a few parishioners of Killowen Church, and the object is to place on record some of the leading facts connected with the Church and Parish which are within their knowledge, either actual or traditional. Probably no Parish in the Diocese of Derry has developed among its inhabitants a greater love and veneration for its Priests, its Church, and its religious associations than the Parish of St. John in Killowen, Coleraine. Its members have invariably been hardworking, struggling people, not endowed with much of this world's goods, but imbued with an active and lively faith. That their Church and its surroundings has not more appearance of modern style and grandeur is their misfortune, not their fault. They have always contributed loyally and generously to the wants of the Parish, but their best has but indifferently supplied the necessities of a Church, occupying as it does one of the most commanding and beautiful sites in the Diocese.
The present Catholic Church of St. John the Evangelist, in the Parish of Killowen, and Diocese and County of Londonderry, occupies a commanding and beautiful site on the west side of the river Bann. It is situated just outside the streets of the town of Coleraine, but is within the municipal boundary.
It was built in the year 1836 by the Rev. Daniel O'Doherty, P.P., who was then the Priest in charge of the Parish. In commemoration of his work he established the Recital of a Mass each year in the Church on the Feast of St. John the Evangelist for the benefactors of the Church.