The history of Delaware county, Iowa
Less than fifty years ago, Delaware County, now so densely populated and replete with all the elements of an enlightened civilization, was the undisturbed home of the Sacs and' Foxes. Less than half a century has rolled into eternity since the Indian title to any portion of the soil of Iowa was extinguished, and the Black Hawk Purchase permitted the resistless tide of emigration Westward to flow across the Mississippi.
Table of Contents
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book - Free ( 58.1 MB PDF )
At the close of the Black Hawk war, in August, 1832, by treaty, the Sac and Fox tribes of Indians, until then the undisputed occupants of the lands lying west of the Mississippi, included in the present State of Iowa, ceded to the United States a strip bordering on the Mississippi and extending westward about fifty miles, which was called "The Black Hawk Purchase." The western boundary of this purchase was fifty miles west of the river and parallel with it, and of course included the present territory of Delaware County. This treaty went into operation June 1, 1833.