History and art souvenir of Dubois County, Indiana
Of the issuing of educational devices there will be no end, hence none need wonder at this. The writer has long noticed that the children of Dubois County lack a knowledge of its history. It is to supply this knowledge, in a measure at least, that this monograph has its origin.
There is no lack of material at hand for such work. The labor has not been in getting material, but in discriminating, in taking only the most important, and in putting it in such form most likely to make it readable, or useful for reference. Space prevented even a mention of many things that a larger work could take up and use to advantage. The book has been compiled, so to speak, with the rubber end of a pencil and a kodak.
The fact that we have examined many authorities, private and public records and documents at Jasper, Indianapolis and Washington; consulted many old citizens, and been upon every section of land in Dubois County, gives the little history at least a chance of being somewhat accurate
"That which strikes the eye lives long upon the mind:
The faithful sight engraves the knowledge with a beam of light."
Taking this as a guide, the little book is fully illustrated.
By far the most interesting part of this monograph is the pictures. Some of them appear through the kindness of friends of the parties or institutions represented. They represent the enterprise and liberality of our citizens.
If we succeed in getting a few children to know more of their county, to think more of her institutions, to better respect the old citizens, and to help advance Dubois county along the road to continued usefulness and prosperity, we shall feel amply repaid for our labor.
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book ( 10.6 MB PDF ) - Free
Dubois County as known in 1896, and as it has been for half a century, is bounded on the north by Daviess and Martin Counties; on the east by Orange, Crawford and Perry Counties; on the south by Perry, Spencer and Warrick Counties, and on the west by Warrick and Pike Counties. At its greatest length it is twenty-two miles, and at its greatest width it is twenty-one miles. Its greatest length is north and south. The center of the county is about two miles southeast of Jasper, its county seat.
When Indiana became a territory,  what is now known as Dubois County, was part of Knox County. About eight years later Gibson County was organized and it embraced a part of what is now Dubois. In 1816, this territory became a part of Pike County, and was so known when Indiana became a state, that is, on Dec. 11, 1816. On December 20, 1817, an act was approved creating Dubois County, not just as we know its present size and shape, but as an individual county. That act was passed at Corydon, then the capital of Indiana.