Parish Registers of Marske in Cleveland, Yorkshire, England
The Banns Book of Marske, commencing 1754, has been compared with the Marriage Regsiters. Entries relating to people whose Banns were called in marske Church, but who were not married there, are given on pages 159-161.
Where the entry is illegible, or where there is no entry at all, the Editor has indicated it by [blank], and where any doubt as to the name exists, by a query.
The letters lic. indicate that a Marriage was solemnized by License: where this does not occur it was in all cases performed after the publication of Banns.
The Registers have been kept in Latin down to the year 1685, and it has been thought advisable in indexing to substitute English Christian names for Latin, with the exception of Maria and Jacob, as the latter may stand for either Jacob or James.
This register is in order by record, year and then date. There is an alphabetical index starting at page 240.
The registers contain the following:
Baptisms wanting for 1636-1639.
History of Marske Parish, Cleveland, co. York, England
"MARSKE, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles W. of Richmond, The church is dedicated to St. Edmund (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory, in the patronage of John Hutton, Esq. incumbent the Rev. James Tate. Here is a school erected in 1814, by John Hutton, Esq. and allowed £20. per annum for the instruction of the poor children belonging to the parish. Pop, 290.
The patronage of this church has been in the family of Hutton ever since 1598, when Matthew Hutton, archbishop of York, purchased this estate. -In the grounds of J. Hutton, esq. is an obelisk, which covers the body of Matthew Hutton, formerly a captain in the army, who dying in the year 1813 at Macclesfield, requested his executors to bury him in this place, where, when a boy, he had often sat, enchanted with the beauties of this mountainous Country.
At Marske, was born, January 5, 1692-3, Dr. Matthew Hutton, archbishop of Canterbury. -He went to school at Kirkby-Hill, near Richmond, in 1702, under the care of the Rev. Mr. Lloyd, ( of Jesus College, Cambridge,) whom he accompanied to Ripon, on his being appointed Master there in 1704, and remained under his tuition 6 years. -He was admitted at Jesus College, Cambridge, in 1710. took his degree of B. A. at that College, 1713, and in the same year was made chaplain to the Duke of Somerset. At a proper age he was ordained Deacon, by Bishop Fleetwood; and elected Fellow of Christ's College, in 1717, and in the same year M. A. -in 1721 he was rector of Trowbridge in Wiltshire. In 1720 became rector of Spofforth in this County. He was made Prebendary of York, by archbishop Blackburn, was appointed one of the chaplains to George II. and went with his Majesty to Hanover, in 1736. He obtained a Canonry of Windsor in 1737; exchanged May 15, 1739 for a Prebend of Westminster; which he resigned in 1746, when he became Bishop of Bangor. In December 1745, he was translated to the archbishoprick of York; and April 1757 to that of Canterbury: He died at Duke Street, Westminster in 1758, aged 65, and lies buried at Lambeth, near the communion Table.
The Family of Hutton of Marske is the only one in this kingdom who can be said to have yielded to the church two English archbishops, who both appear to have been great and good Prelates," and that within two centuries of each other. The first Matthew Hutton becoming Archbishop of York in 1595, and the second Archbishop of York in 1747 and Canterbury in 1757.